Thursday, March 5, 2009

Delhi

A wonderful thing happened yesterday - I walked into a grocery shop in Delhi, minus my usual carrybag, thinking that I could accept a polybag, for just this one time. It was only after i paid the bill that I realised that this shop had stopped giving polybags. Had to balance all the little items in my hands, but it was fun alright. Knowing some people who were going by rules and ethics was refreshing.

The Delhi Government seems to be taking the aggressive approach to its modernisation plan. While work on the Commonwealth Games front seems to be slowly picking up steam, I have my doubts as to whether it would actually take place here, given the safety situation in the subcontinent. That apart, banning polybags was a very bold move. I would bet all my money (which, considering my student status, is definitely not substantial) tha the ground situation hasn't changed a lot, but incidents like yesterday's give me hope.

The traffic situation has improved, and the heart of the city has managed to sustain its greenery. The big success is, undoubtedly, the Delhi Metro. Moving in swiftly into NOIDA, Gurgaon and Faridabad over the next couple of years before its own deadline, the Metro makes for an eye-opening case study.

While more attention is being given to the maintenance of monuments, the glaring absence of guided tours is something that worries me. Given the rich history of the city, I guess we are missing out on a lot of money, tourism and goodwill.

Still a long way to go for the Walled City, I guess.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe the shop just happened to be out of polybags for the moment ;)

sujaan said...

ur post makes me wanna visit delhi...and take the metro to CP...

Ranga said...

@ Mr Anonymous

That is a generic possibility, just that in this case, the shop has decided to run out of polybags for ever. And yes, would be nice if you give yourself a name.

@ Sujaan

I wanna do that myself. Haven't been out in a while. What about u coming over and the two of us hanging out together!