Thursday, August 13, 2009

Madison


My first day in Madison has gone off pretty well. A friend's friend agreed to host me for a couple of days till I move into my own apartment and so here I am, sitting in the confines of a carpeted but un-furnished, one-room apartment. My host has been nice to take me in, considering he just moved in a day back and has an important examination coming up in a couple of weeks.

So let me resume from where I left. The American airlines staff was middle-aged - the first thing that I noticed. Both the airlines I flew prior to this flight were based out of India and had very young crew. However, my friends tell me that this is not the case for Air India (of which I shall not speak much, considering it has come from once being among the five top airlines in the world to having had to be bailed out). Drinks and a sumptuous lunch followed. My American vegetarian meal consisted of fruits, vegetables, bread and pasta.

All this while I was searching for a pair of headphones to connect to the in flight entertainment system. It wasn't there in the back pocket of the seat in front, or the handrest, or on my seat. But many around me were tuned in to their systems. It turned out that American airlines 'welcomes all its passengers to use their own earphones and headphones. the airlines also offers its own earphones for two dollars and allows us to keep them for future use'. Hmph! How mean. But I guess it is common out here and I felt slightly wierd as it was my first flight to the US. I couldn't sleep very well but I did manage to doze off for a while. An hour before landing, we were served a light afternoon meal that included some cereal and fruit.

The customs check at Chicago airport reminded me of my visa interview. Everything went well and I was through to my luggage. The security officer did ask me if I was carrying any eatables like sweets (probably to make sure that no Indian germs were moving to Madison). Half an hour later, I boarded the Van Galder bus to Madison. The approach roads leading to and from Chicago airport are well laid. The airport is also connected by a railway system. As we moved out from the city and on the freeways, the drive became smoother. There were a lot of trucks hauling everything from cars and boats to logs of wood. Wherever there was a pilup, vehicles stayed at least two metres from each other and there was simply no honking. I also read a board that said hitting a worker would lead to a fine of $ 10,000 and upto 14 years in jail (prison, sorry!).

Madison seems to be a pretty place, located between laked Mendota and Monona. My friend Jayashree picked me up from what is known as Memorial Union, a centrally located place in the University. I met some other Indian students at her place and had a wonderful dinner (I am still licking the rajma off my lips, thanks to Puja for that). I then walked to my host's apartment. We chatted for some time and then crashed for the night. I had a sound sleep and woke up at quarter past ten. I stayed indoors for the day and caught up with some more sleep after lunch. One of my friends had advised me to keep walking, so I thought of strolling down to the nearest supermarket. Like many things here, it was huge and offered a wide variety of food stuff to buy. I ended up buying some fruits.

Getting back home, I had dinner and sit here typing all this out. I don't know if it sounded mundane and boring. I just wanted to write in as its all so new to me and I wanted to put it down somewhere.

Planning to go to the University tomorrow morning. Puja has agreed to take me around. I also hope to start off with some of the formalities tomorrow. More later.

8 comments:

Raina Arora said...

Mundane and boring?! It is always nice to read about people's experiences at new places. Keep writing. You have an interested reader in me (if that is a big enough incentive :D).

Ranga said...

Thank you!

Rachna said...

Good to know about your experiences. Probably, this was the best time to write this up somewhere coz guess what, I doubt whether u will be getting as much time as u now to write a blog atleast in the first Semester.

Anand kant Das said...

Very nice description Ranga,Keep it up!!!!

Unknown said...

u know as I read through it was as if u were there sitting in front of me and rambling away!!! Keep posting news on the blog bhai..aisa lagega ki you are close by. Take good care of urself

sujaan said...

not boring at all... love to read about people's first impressions of a place (just like first impressions of people, :P)

vedha said...

WOW.... Well said Ranga.. This is the first time i am checking your blogs and I am quite impressed... Cheers to my lil brother... keep writing

Ranga said...

@ rachna: I hope to keep writing for sometime. I really hope I can take time out to do that.

@ Anand: Thank you!

@ Sudha: I am right there, sis.

@ Sujaan: First impressions of people is better any day :)

@ Vedu: Thanks a lot! Proud to be your brother.