Saturday, November 14, 2009

Ice skating

In the third of four class gatherings that are scheduled for the current semester, we decided to try out ice skating yesterday. 'The Shell' is one of the three main recreational facilities at the University, and houses the only ice rink on campus. I was hoping my experience with a pair of rickety old skates (that had four rubber wheels each) would come in handy here. With Ross' and Emma's reassuring presence, and fellow novice Amber for company, I pretended all positive and gung-ho about the evening.

After a wild goose chase for the rink, and some contradicting directions, we got to the place, which is but a short walk from the department. Somehow, I managed to put on my skates and walk to the rink. After ensuring that my skates were tied tightly, I was off. Not in a flash, though. The initial few steps were scary and I could foresee myself sprawled on all fours pretty soon. The first round was completed with the wall as my companion. But by the end of the third, I felt expert enough to get away from it.

The kids here skate like pros. I have a hunch that every newborn wears skates before crying, shortly after birth. And by the time I would near my finish line, the whistle would sound and everyone would turn around. Hmph! So near, yet...

All in all, a great experience. Wisconsin seems to be a popular destination for winter sports and I just took my first step yesterday. Looking forward to cross-country skiing pretty soon.


5 comments:

Wanderer said...

Like to see some pics please :)

sujaan said...

cool ranga, u skated and all! yes yes put up pics... and how many times did u fall? :P

Ranga said...

@ Bud and Das

Will check if someone had a camera. I am yet to fall, so I guess the learning curve isjust about beginning. 2nd session is up for this Friday, and I have some more fellow novices.

Unknown said...

I had the same feeling about kids when I went to ski last year....

Ranga said...

My roommate, who has to teach freshman math, says that most of his students feel that Indians are born with calculators implanted in their brains!