Sunday, June 20, 2010

The week that was

No. Don't expect any drama here. No life-changing incidents, no close escapes, no spine chilling ghost stories, nothing. I was sitting idle for a bit and thought of sharing my boredom with you. What better way than writing about something totally ordinary, such as the week that just went by.

Monday to Friday, nine to five, is convenient and sweet. I come to my desk, usually a minute late, to friendly taunts by lab mates about that extra minute. I pretend to do some work. Coffee break, Lunch break, another coffee break... Then I finally get down to work,. Making columns, coming close to breaking them, loading samples, etc and by the time I am done, its five and I am off. Oh yeah, how could I miss soccer. That's what keeps me going through the chores these days. And what a World cup this is turning out to be. Spain, France and Germany beaten by less-fancied teams. Italy held by the dodos.. er, the Kiwis, rather. I would love to see Brazil beaten by Ivory Coast, that's starting in an hour. The jabulanis and vuvuzelas seem more exciting than England's soccer skills. No, wait! Their goalies pump it up for the spectators. Word is out that the most defensive of teams get excited on seeing an Englishman in front of the goal. 'Shoot, and they shall help you score', they say.

That aside, Madison is pretty as a picture these days. It rains intermittently, but the sun comes out shining every day. People complain that its too warm. I tell them to take a trip to New Delhi to understand what hot summers mean.

2 comments:

L said...

Was reading some of your old posts. Surprised that we still don't have any environment-friendly disposal of waste chemicals..But the funniest (and potentially most serious)was when someone left a tin of supposedly used sodium wires in the gents toilet. I suppose a poor unsuspecting soul used it...you should have heard the explosion...I thought the lift had finally fallen down.

Ranga said...

@ L

Boys' restrooms in schools are often venues for some awesome chemistry, especially around Diwali time!