Friday, June 27, 2008

Morning hues

I woke up yesterday morning and the stillness struck me like never before. The rain-less week was coming to an end and I was hoping for some respite from the hot and humid Delhi weather. Add to that a creaking fan that threatened to collapse any moment and made sound sleep an achievement in itself in my hostel wing, things were not all that rosy. Coming back, not a soul to be seen (six in the morning is when many have finished their third movie of the night!), not a leaf moved, no squirrels running in frenetic play, no birds twittering, absolutely nothing. It was probably the dullest morning I had woken up to for a long time. As I reached out to the tap, it announced compliance with the prevailing boredom. Some pipeline must have burst, I thought, as I made my way to the bathroom below. Same story there as well, ditto in the first and ground floors - no water in the entire hostel. As I clambered up the stairs, counselling whether I should perform my ablutions in another hostel, I heard the guard shout after me, 'Sir! Tanker aa gayaa hai. Paani le lo.' And that's how I got the first bucket of Delhi Jal Board water of my life. Sounds funny? Well, in those circumstances, it was heavenly.

As I made my way back to my room, feeling rejuvenated, I paused on the corridor in front of my room, and it struck me again. How could it be? This was like putting me into a painting. I gasped for breath, but the air that I drew in was warm, and I felt even more suffocated. Something had to give in, this couldn't go on for long. There was a whole day ahead and I didn't want to start it this way. And then, it rained...

I heard the first few drops and as the clouds congregated, something changed, rather, everything changed. Within minutes, puddles of water formed on the terrace, rousing birds, animals and some of the cream around me from their slumber. It was a celebration that I feasted on, enjoying every bit of the fun. It lasted for barely thirty minutes, but set the tone for the day. I knew things would be good. As the clouds gave way and the sun shone brightly, I couldn't think of a brighter morning. Interesting what a few drops of water can do!

4 comments:

Angika said...

Hmmm.. a lot of people in Bombay are cursing the drops of water. Amazing, no? One country, one people and diverse sentiments :)

I like the new look of the blog, btw. It was my first template!

sridhar said...

damn. thats actually a very good incentive for waking up early!

sujaan said...

great read! the cliche "morning shows the day" is so true...

Nandhini said...

i wonder how such small things, little surprises that nature has in store, makes us so happy...
It rains here all the time, everyone curses it, but somehow my enthusiasm for it has still not decreased... will take some time :)
Keep writing..