Saturday, July 25, 2009

My Maths Teacher

I was out shopping yesterday evening with my parents and this happened when we were at a shoe store in NOIDA's bustling Sector 18 market. As we turned from the wall that displayed all the shoes to move to another section I heard someone shriek, 'Hello Ma'm!'. It was invariably another of mom's students whom we usually bump into anywhere, anytime in NOIDA. What followed was a power packed, emotionally charged display of gratitude and happiness that left everyone in the shop amused, except the student of course. She kept shrieking 'My Maths Teacher', in disbelief, and would just not let go of mom's feet. She also dragged her poor husband (much to his embarrassment) to do the same (not the shrieking part). It was hilarious to watch most of the shoppers and sales boys forgetting their jobs momentarily. I guess some of them were thinking about their teachers, I sure was. I also couldn't help thinking that only a teacher can get such a show of affection. My mom was shaken up by the whole thing, especially that all things around her stopped moving, and made a hasty, slithery exit, but not before another round of hugs :)

One of my most sincere and effective teachers lamented in class about how teaching was a thankless job and nothing save the personal motivation drove teachers around the country to continue working selflessly. I guess things are not that bleak after all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i quite agree with u... even I want to meet mam as soon as possible....