Thursday, July 30, 2009

On Omar

Omar Abdullah comes across as a confident young man, with lots of promise in the Indian political scene that is getting younger with each passing day. However, his first stint at the helm of affairs in the perennially troubled state of J&K has been anything but smooth. Shopian, Baramulla, blah blah... stone pelting, effigy burning, etc. And the latest is the 2006 sex scandal. I am hoping that he comes out clean. Amidst all the angry outbursts, accusations and denials, Omar made a statement that has stayed with me. He said, "In this country the accused is pronounced innocent until proven guilty. However, since this is a personal attack on my morality, I hold myself guilty until proven innocent."

The man surely talks hard. It remains to be seen if he delivers as he promises.

No comments: